Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Holidays To Get Us to Summer

Every time my computer turns on, I see the last post on my blog. For months now I've been staring at Tessa's birthday post and thinking every time that I need to update, so finally I am trying to catch up a little now that we're half way through June. So the best way for me to do that is a post about the recent holidays: the ones between Tessa's birthday in March to the end of the school year in June. These holidays are Easter, Mother's Day, and Memorial Day. I'll then do a post about the girls' school years and then we'll be caught up to the summer!
 
So we start with Easter. We went to our church ward's breakfast and Easter egg hunt at the park. The girls had fun and even Taryn got the concept of finding eggs this year.



We dyed eggs as a family using food coloring this year. We thought they turned out really bright and colorful.

 
We also had Easter baskets that the girls woke up to Easter morning and our own family Easter egg hunt. It was fun this year to hide some of the eggs because as the girls are getting older, we can make the hunt more challenging for them.

The next holiday, that I have a picture from, was Mother's Day. As we came home from church, I made Tyler take a picture of us girls. It was pretty sunny, so it was harder than it should have been to just get one picture, but I love it anyway.
 
Since Abby and Tessa will each have their own post about school, I wanted to add these two pictures for Aubrey and Taryn. Some of Aubrey's closest friends moved right as the school year ended. One was her friend, Elle, who's dad just graduated from medical school here. They were best buds because we always saw them at exercise classes and volleyball even though her family was in a different ward from us. We had many play dates, but were super sad to see them go. I got a picture of them the last time they were over to play. And Taryn had the fun opportunity to go to a birthday at a Build-a-Bear store for one of her friends from nursery. She fell asleep on the way to the party, so she spent the first half of the party kind of dazed and grumpy in her stroller. When she finally woke up enough to participate in the party activities, the only pictures I could get of her were of her silly face. At least she knew I was taking a picture I guess. Her choice of a build-a-bear was a dog that Abby and I helped her name Cheetos. (still her favorite food.)
 
I also want to mention our weekly music class since I took a picture from our last one this year. We've had a pre-school music class during the school year and we'd sing songs based on a different theme each month. It was also another thing that we did with the Billings so it was one more picture with our kids together. The girls loved the class and would sing the songs all month long and teach the older girls sometimes too.
 
That finally brings us to the last holiday before the end of the school year - Memorial Day. We took the long weekend and drove down to San Antonio to stay with Scott and Nevla and Chloe. We had a blast. We had a few mishaps on the drive down with Taryn getting carsick, but once we finally made it, everyone was fine and had a great time. We spent the majority of the weekend just hanging out and playing games.
 
 
We did a little shopping and I got to pick dinner (it was my birthday that weekend too), so we got to eat at the Cheesecake Factory which was delicious.
 
 
We took an outing to a park where they had some pretty trees, so this was where we took the most pictures. 
 
 
They had a tree stump shaped perfectly like a seat, so we took pictures of Taryn there and Abby had Scott take pictures of her there too. 
 
The girls enjoyed dancing to YouTube videos and we couldn't pass up a picture once all the girls started climbing on Scott.
 
We also took a trip to the Bass Pro Shop. We did this last year and the kids had a fun time, so we thought we'd go again. Once we got there we saw that they were having a free kids activity day, so we picked the perfect time to go. They had a scavenger hunt to find pictures around the store, a sandbox where they could use metal detectors to find a prize, a gun shooting range, and after all the activities were completed, the kids got more prizes. It was really fun. We've been watching Diggers on tv so the girls were super excited to try the metal detectors.
 
We kind of had to talk the girls into trying the gun range, but the older three each took a turn with Dad's help and they really enjoyed it after being able to hit the target. 

 
 The prizes they got after completing the activities included a water bottle, a reflector clip, and a whistle. We could barely keep the whistles quiet while we finished in the store and as soon as we walked outside they went to town on those whistles. They blew them every time they were outside for the rest of the weekend. A couple of them had to be "lost" because we adults couldn't take the noise anymore - thanks for that Bass Pro Shop! But the kids did love it.
 
We had a fun time all weekend and the trip home was uneventful so that was nice too. We've really enjoyed making family memories every year and our own family traditions as we celebrate holidays together.

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...