Tuesday, August 28, 2018

August 2018 - End of Summer, Beginning of School

The end of July and beginning of August overlapped a little in end of summer activities. I've decided to include all of my pictures in this post that were our end of summer festivities. And since school started so early in August this year (August 13th), the only other pictures I've taken for August were from meet the teacher night and the first day of school. So here's how our summer ended. The big news for Abby was that she got braces! Three days after getting home from Utah, they were able to schedule her an appointment. She was very excited to get them on. The sooner the better she said, so she could get used to them before school started. I also wanted her to have time to adjust to playing the French horn and eating and other things that were going to change once the braces were on. Here she is during the process and after we got home.

Abby also got to participate in a couple more volleyball camps to keep her practicing before her school tryouts. She went to the UTEP volleyball camp and had fun with girls from her club and school teams, and also with girls that she remembered from last year's camp. I went early a couple days and grabbed these pictures as they practiced. 

Abby also did a camp through the city that was free, but run by the same UTEP players that ran the UTEP camp. They took one big group picture on their last day. Abby enjoyed learning from new coaches and strengthening her skills as she continued her workouts. Luckily she's not sick of all the volleyball playing yet. She's very good and learning more each time she plays and I love watching her play. 

Our ward had a pioneer day breakfast, so Tyler left early to help cook. I woke up to get the girls ready to go and saw this in my backyard. We had a skunk in our pool! It was a baby skunk that was stuck in the water intake area. Whenever it tried going out to swim, it would swim along the wall and then head back to where it could stand and just hang out there. I would've tried helping it out with our net and long pole, but then we started seeing other skunks in the backyard right above the pool and I decided it wasn't worth getting sprayed by one of its friends in the process if I tried to help. So after calling Tyler, I called animal control. We went to our breakfast and I got the call later saying animal control was at my house. I met them there and waited in the house while he took care of the skunk in the pool. The other skunks were no longer around, so he didn't have to worry as much about being sprayed. The next day Tyler saw and took a picture of a fox that was up on the hill behind our yard. We see all kinds of animals in our yard which is one of the reasons we love our house, but we're not sure if our chickens are attracting all these animals or what. It's been a little crazy. 

Tyler started a project of making loft beds for Aubrey and Taryn. We had decided to rearrange the girls in their rooms since Tessa was starting middle school, so Tyler gave himself the deadline of finishing it all before school started. With all the furniture rearranging, I asked Tyler if I could paint some accent walls while the rooms were emptier. So I started with the playroom which became Aubrey and Taryn's room. I decided on the design and the girls picked the colors from what paints we already had. And I was good about taking some before, during, and after pictures. Here's the before picture, and one during, while Aubrey and Taryn helped paint their new wall. 

I took a picture of the finished wall, and then one more picture of the complete room with the completed loft beds. The girls were so excited to sleep in their new beds that first night. Our futon couch fits below one of the beds, so we can even all watch movies in their together and there's still plenty of room for toys and for the girls to play. I'm still adjusting to calling it their room instead of the playroom, but everyone is happy. And Tyler had it all done with time to spare before school started. 

Tessa's room was next and we went a little more creative for her wall. I showed her some examples on pinterest and she picked the chevron pattern and wanted it green. We even used a second color after seeing and loving some examples of that. The prep work of measuring and taping the wall took the most time, but I like doing that kind of stuff and we really loved how it turned out. These are the before and after pictures of Tessa's room. Her room was a major change when I starting taking off the pictures that were on the wall. When we moved into this house, I decorated this room as the nursery, so we removed all the "baby" items and really turned it into a middle schooler's room. With the younger girls' new beds and new dresses that they and Abby got, Tessa was the only one without any "new" furniture. She was at least able to pick out a new bedspread and sheet set, and she was happy when a smaller tv was moved into her room so she could watch her own movies too. She loves her room and has adjusted to being on her own just fine. 

A couple weeks later, we were able to finish Tessa's room by adding this accent wall with Tessa's favorite animal. We had painted it green when we did the other painting, but we waited for the vinyl and finally got that right after school started. We love how it turned out. Tessa loves that when she lays in bed, she can see the turtles through her dresser mirror.

Abby wanted an accent wall too, and after I started the other rooms, she did the research herself and decided what design she wanted. She picked this geometric pattern design and even wrote out her plans of where the tape would go. I did the majority of the work on the other rooms, but Abby was very hands on and did all the work with me. She said she wanted purple, so I was very excited when I found a clearance bucket of purple paint at the store. It said it was interior paint, so I bought it and brought it home. What I didn't realize until I was opening it was that it was oil-based paint, so it was very messy and very smelly. It coated very nicely on the wall, but it was a beast to clean off our skin and the paintbrushes. And the smell! It was so strong when we were painting Abby's wall that even with the balcony door open to help ventilate, our eyes were watering as we painted. We even had all the girls sleep downstairs that first night after painting because the smell was so strong. I learned my lesson on that one, but at least the rooms turned out nicely and all the girls are happy.  

As for the girls, they enjoyed the final weeks of their summer. Taryn loved watching her sunflowers grow in our front yard. We took a picture of the first one that bloomed. It was practically as tall as she was. Tessa spent a day at Hornedo when she picked up her laptop and then went back that afternoon for their "fish" camp where they take the 6th graders around to tour the school and get comfortable with middle school. I took this picture of Tessa with her friends from church, Seki and Olivia, who went together during the tour.

Taryn had a final playdate with all of her kindergarten class friends for a last summer hurrah. We had already found out their teachers for the new school year, and sadly Taryn was the only one from this group of KD kids who was going to be in a different class than all of the other kids. The other moms really wanted me to try and change Taryn's teacher, but Taryn was good with being in a different class. She just said, "it's ok. I'll see them all at lunch and recess." She's such a good kid. Her friends were able to come over for lunch and swimming and they had so much fun. Here's Taryn with her buddies Isabella, Jackson, Benny, Gabby, and Alyssa. Taryn had a mishap at this playdate when they were playing. Aubrey was holding Taryn and she tried dropping her in the pool, but didn't get her over the water far enough, so when Taryn fell, she hit her nose on the side of the pool. She was bleeding everywhere; it was so freaky. I was glad it was my kid and not someone else's, and once we got all the bleeding stopped, we could tell it was just a bruised and bloody nose. She luckily didn't get any black eyes, but her nose was very tender for a couple of days. Besides that, the kids had fun spending time together and enjoying their summer. 

On August 4th, the youth had a temple trip scheduled at the Tucson temple. We met at the church at 5:15 in the morning to drive the four hours to Tucson to have the kids there for a 9 am baptistry appointment. Since Tyler and I are both currently working with the youth, our other kids stayed the night at a friend's house, so that we could both go with Abby. We drove our van full of kids and had a good time visiting on the long drive. We had 14 youth go in all, and they all did family names that they had researched themselves. Abby had 10 family names that she had found herself. It was so awesome to be with our youth inside the temple. We took pictures afterwards and then grabbed lunch before heading home. 

Abby really enjoyed her summer and spent a lot of time hanging out with friends. I took this picture of Abby with Braelinn, AJ, and Logan after we got home from the temple trip. We also had a final summer activity for the young women when we went to a movie in the plaza theater during a film festival. We hung out by an alligator fountain in downtown El Paso after the movie. I took this picture of Abby with her friends Carrie, Braelinn, and Alexis.

The week before school started, they had a meet the teacher night for the elementary school. We took Aubrey and Taryn to meet their teachers. Aubrey will have three teachers in 4th grade - Mrs. Armendariz for homeroom, Mr. Martinez for GT/Connections, and Mrs. Adkins for Math/Science. Taryn, in first grade, has Mrs. Moreira who both Tessa and Aubrey had in first grade. They were excited to meet their teachers, see their classrooms, and to find their friends. We saw the Anderson kids in the hallway and grabbed these pictures of Aubrey with Rianne and Taryn with Presley as we were between classrooms. The girls are very excited to start school. 

Abby's final summer activity was league volleyball. She played with the team Titans which consisted of a few of her club team players, and a few new players. We took a picture of them with Coach Dawson after their final game. So in the first picture, the girls are Salem, Abby, Rozy, Coach, McKenzie, Diane, Andrea, and Allie. They had the final tournament games during the first week of school, so some of the girls weren't able to play for those final games. But the girls played well together and ended up winning all of their games and getting first place. We took a picture of them with their medals and with Coach Michael who had worked a lot with them during this season. In the second picture it's: Coach, Abby, McKenzie, Allie, Andrea, Salem, and Diane.

Finally the first day of school arrived. The girls were excited and a little nervous. They woke up early and were ready to go with time to spare. Here are the first day of school pictures of Abby and Tessa in their uniforms for middle school. Abby was very excited that she gets to wear jeans. It's one of the perks of being an 8th grader. Everyone else has to wear khaki or navy blue. Tessa chose her new jumper dress and was very excited for the first day. Although, it ended up not being the best day for her. The school ended up changing her schedule, but they didn't tell her so she went to a couple of classes in the afternoon before telling them that she wasn't on their roles. She got her new schedule right before last period and ended up going to two social studies classes and no PE on that first day. She was unhappy that they had changed her schedule, but by the end of the first week, she was ok with her new teachers and classmates. She eats lunch with her friends, has decided to play percussion in band, and has decided to try out for the math team; so she's doing well and adjusting quickly to middle school life. 

Here are the two elementary girls. Aubrey started 4th grade and was excited to be one of the older kids at the school. Taryn, in first grade, was just happy that she gets to play on the big kid playground since they have a separate playground for the kindergartners. They know the school and know their teachers, so they were ready for school and ready to be with their friends everyday. 

Here are a few pictures I took of all the girls together. I love these girls! This second picture is now my screensaver on my phone because I love it so much. :) I hope they have a great school year. 

The Kasallis family likes to walk to school. With the girls still excited about school and waking up early enough, we've joined them in walking to school quite a few times. Tony took these pictures of the kids as they walked to school together during the first week. These kids love each other, and we always talk about how great they are for each other since they're in families of just boys and just girls. Having each other lets them see what having sisters and brothers is like. We love these kids. 

Taryn's class has an app they use to communicate with each other and where the teacher can send home messages and pictures. I took this selfie with Taryn so that we could include it as our profile. And since I'm not in most of the pictures I take, I decided to include it here. Audrey took this second picture of Taryn for me on the first day of school as Taryn walked with her class from the blacktop to their classroom. They were outside with Teagan, who was starting kindergarten, so they were able to see Taryn when I had to leave earlier since only Kinder parents were allowed to go outside on that first day. 

The final event for August would have to be Tyler's birthday. He turned 41 this year. We did a lot of fun festivities for his birthday, but sadly this was the only picture I took. We went out on a group date with three other couples the weekend before his birthday and we had a Sunday dinner with the Kasallis family to celebrate his birthday. And then on his actual birthday, a Tuesday this year, we ate out as a family with my parents. He chose Red Lobster, and this was the ice cream and brownie dessert they gave him when they sang happy birthday. I love this guy and all he does for our family. I can't wait to celebrate many more birthdays with him. Happy Birthday Tyler!

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...