Tuesday, July 13, 2021

April 2021, Part 2 - Tessa Plays Softball, Taryn Plays Basketball

Tessa tried out and made her school’s first ever softball team. She and some of her friends tried out together and were so excited when they made the team. They had a pretty short season with only 4 games, but they practiced all the time and Tessa decided she liked softball a lot. 
 

Tessa played 2nd base all season, and she usually started, but they kept enough girls to basically have two full teams, so she always only played half of each game. Sometimes she’d be in the field for two innings and only get to bat once; or she sometimes got to bat twice and play in the field for three innings.
 

At Tessa’s first game, during her first at bat, the pitcher was a really fast pitcher, but also very wild. Hardly anyone got a hit, but we got a ton of runs because she walked a lot of players. Tessa was able to get on base after being walked and with a few more wild pitches, she made her way around the bases and scored a run for the team. She’s a fast runner which helped as she ran around the bases.

Here are a couple more shots while Tessa was up to bat. I love this second one as Tessa’s leading off at second base on her way to third.

I believe their team ended up 2 and 2 overall. Even though it was the first softball season for all the middle schools, there are some club softball teams on the east side of town, so the schools we played from the east side had enough advanced players that they beat our team pretty easily. But when we played Lincoln and Brown, the two other middle schools from the west side, the games were close and we came out on top. You could definitely tell the girls were all beginners, but they had fun learning and playing. Here’s Tessa’s team after their final game.

Tessa went with a couple of her teammates after one of their games to Tropical Smoothie for a treat. She was with Brianna and Alyssa. After their lunch and smoothie, they went out to the little play area outside of the restaurant. They even made a new friend as they spun around on this spinning wheel. I’m glad that Tessa has been able to try new things in middle school and make a lot of new friends.
 

Taryn and Teagan have still been playing basketball with the YMCA. They were the purple mustangs for their second season and they had fun playing. Their team was bigger this time so they had more rest time during the game, but whenever Taryn, Teagan, and one of their teammates, Emmy, got to play together, they did really well. Taryn was still one of the tallest players so we worked a lot on her jumping and rebounding and just being more aggressive in going for the ball. She’s really been enjoying it and loves to play.
 

Taryn always made a lot of baskets, but she was also very aware and good at passing the ball and making sure that each of her teammates had a chance to not only dribble the ball but also shoot the ball and try to make a basket. She had to learn how to work with players on her team that never passed the ball, but she was a very good team player and a strong leader whenever she was on the court.
 

Tessa was bored one day so we did a photo shoot. We took so many pictures, but I realized that the best ones were the candid shots. Tessa doesn’t really like to just pose and smile, but once she started being goofy and having fun, I was able to get some really cute pictures. I loved this monkey face picture because it just reminded me of when Tessa was a little girl. She must have made that face a lot or something because every time I look at it, I just see a little 2 year old Tessa. So cute! She did have some normal smiling pictures too which I loved.

There were just too many pictures to choose only a few, so I’ve added a bunch. Here’s another beautiful one and another funny one as Tessa made a kissy face.

She did a really good cross-eyed picture and I love her serious poses too.

Here’s one more serious pose and probably our all-time favorite. The way she’s turned for this picture makes her look super skinny, but I just love her natural smile. She’s such a happy girl and I love getting to spend time with her having fun. She’s awesome. 

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...