Friday, February 17, 2023

August, Part 1-Beginning of School

The first day of school was August 1st. I had to get first day of school pictures separately since everyone's school day started at different times. Abby and Tessa started early morning seminary, so Abby came home after seminary to get ready for the day, but Tessa went straight to school after seminary, so her first day of school picture was actually taken the night before the first day of school as she tried on her first day of school outfit. Abby started her senior year and Tessa started her sophomore year.

Aubrey started her 8th grade year and Taryn started her 5th grade year. It's a little crazy this year because three of the four girls are in a graduating year - one from high school, one from middle school, and one from elementary. And not to have Tessa feel left out, it's a big year for her too since it's the year she turns 16. Big events for all four girls!

Abby's friends decorated her jeep for the first day of school. 

The youth activities for the start of the school year were fun activities based on the girls' energy and excitement for a new year. Aubrey and the middle school young women went to a rock climbing place. Abby and the high school young women went to a lady's house in the ward who has an aerial silk hanging from her ceiling. Abby was so proud that she was able to get herself in the air. She said it was very hard, and it used all kinds of muscles.

Here's the group that did the aerial silks. Abby said it was challenging, but very fun.

The first week of school had Aubrey's first dance performance. It was at the Chihuahua's baseball game. We ended up selling over 20 tickets to the game to our friends and family and we all went to support Aubrey and her dance team. Tessa and Abby invited friends to attend the game with them. We didn't get all of our seats together, so I kept splitting my time between saying hi to the teenagers, sitting with my parents, and sitting with Tyler and the Kasallis family. Abby and Tessa brought Audrey, Ethan, and Kyler. I never get closeups of Aubrey in her dance outfits, so the best I get are some of her selfie pictures. 
 

We had fun at the game even though it rained a little during their performance. They did a hip hop routine before the game started, but they still did great despite the rain, and there were a ton of people in the stands to watch them. It was a fun way to start out the new school year.

Tessa and Aubrey took this silly picture together because they happened to both be wearing the same shirt.  I love these girls, especially when they're getting along. Tessa started her cross country season right when school started as well. They had their first race a couple weeks into school. She looked great and finished in the top 10 girls at their first trial meet.
 

They took a picture of the entire Franklin cross country team after one of their practices right before their first meet.

My parents were in town for the baseball game and stayed for the weekend. They went to church with us and I knew I wanted to get a picture of the entire family since we don't get to have them as visitors very often anymore. Someone caught this random picture of me and Abby as we chatted on the couch after church. I love Abby and already get sad when I think about this being her last year at home.

Taryn loves to use the filters on my phone. She found this app that changes pictures to animations, and this is one that she found of herself and turned into a cartoon. I thought they were really cute pictures, so I wanted to keep them.
 

Taryn had a beginning of the school year Activity Day activity where they made their own temples out of cookies and marshmallows. She used the green frosting to make the temple grounds and added the marshmallows for all of the towers and spires. I was pretty impressed. Taryn decided to play the bass this year in orchestra. She loves music and is happy to follow in Abby's footsteps by playing the bass.
 

Abby's high school volleyball season started off with a bang. She had tryouts the first couple days of school and found out she made the varsity team. They travel right away, so two weekends in a row, they traveled to Midland and then to Dallas. I didn't get to go to either place, but Abby had fun with her teammates and she got to play as the second setter for most of the games.

Some of the tournaments had Abby sitting the bench again as the coaches moved other players around, so it was frustrating to Abby who works so hard, but then gets benched for making one mistake. We were hoping her senior year would be different since they've seen how dedicated and hard working she's been, but she came home from all of her tournaments pretty upset and defeated. The seniors at least get recognized on the gym wall where they hang big banners of each senior player. I had to get a picture the first time I was in the gym. 
 

As we started the new school year at work, we took a group picture of the office ladies for Diana's birthday. We thought it would be cute to use colorful umbrellas and the picture turned out so good, especially with the Welcome to Lundy Elementary mosaic centered on the ground. I really like my job and I love the ladies that I work with.

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...