Thursday, July 5, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend Extravaganza

So many things happened so close together that I finally get to catch up. Abby's last day of school started the weekend of Memorial Day. Since we were moving, we planned one final big family get together with my parents and siblings. The kids were out of school and everyone had off work, so we had all weekend to play. I probably need separate blog entries for all the pictures I took at each of the places we went that weekend, but I'll just give a few highlights for now.

We made plans to attend the Dallas Temple and schedule everything else around that. It was awesome because I don't think all 10 of us (my parents, siblings and spouses) have ever gone to the temple all together before. We took up an entire row and I couldn't help but get emotional looking at my family all together. I loved it!
After the session, Tyler and I took our girls back to the temple grounds to see the temple. Abby had been talking about going to the temple for months. She had even been praying about it, so we walked the temple grounds, took them into the lobby, and took lots of pictures outside. These were a few of my favorites even though it was a bit windy and it messed with the girls' hair a bunch. 

 We decided to go to Legoland Discovery Center which was inside the Grapevine Mills Mall for the kids to have something fun to do. It wasn't as big as we were thinking it would be and the one "ride" where you get to shoot at things was only available to ride once, so we were a little let down. But the kids loved it and would have stayed longer had we let them. There was a huge jungle type gym in the middle for the kids to climb and play. There was a karaoke section, a lego racecar building section, and a 4D movie theater which the kids all ran from one section to another having so much fun.
 We ate dinner at The Magic Time Machine restaurant. I remember as a kid always talking about going with my family, but we never did. So we finally got the chance this weekend. All the waiters and waitresses are dressed up like famous people/characters. And all the tables are decorated differently and you're allowed to walk around and see all the tables and decorations. We took a lot of pictures here. I could probably make an entire scrapbook of just this visit alone. Our waitress was Rapunzel which the girls loved, but every time Belle walked by the girls screamed for her, so we finally stopped her to get a picture.

 We stayed in a hotel near the temple and the kid's had fun playing and finding things to entertain themselves. I caught some of the cousins hiding in one of the closets and thought it turned out to be a really cute picture.
Near our hotel, they had this fancy McDonalds where we stopped for drinks one time while the kids played. I had to take a picture of the girls with Grandpa. They had oversized food items all around the building. It was definitely picture worthy.
On our last day, we went to the Aquarium at Fair Park. The girls really enjoyed seeing all the sea creatures. Some of the favorites were a huge sea turtle, the blind salamander, and the sting rays. Tyler and Uncle John even got to feed the sting rays, which they said was a little scary after the worker told them to make sure to tuck their thumbs in or else the sting rays will think it's food. But they did it perfectly and thought it was pretty amazing.

We got one last picture of our family outside the Aquarium. It was a fun, event-filled weekend where the kids enjoyed being with their cousins and all the family had a great time just being together. We definitely miss being so close to family, but I'm sure each time we all get together we'll have just as much fun as we did on this weekend. 


No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...