Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Abby's Birthday and Baptism

Even though Christmas separated Abby's birthday and her baptism, I decided to post them together since they were only a couple weeks apart. Abby was allowed to invite 8 girls to a birthday party that we had the weekend before her actual birthday. She planned the entire event herself. She decided on the time, the games, the movie, the food, and the invitations which she made mostly herself. Seven of the 8 girls were able to come, so we had a great time. Abby wanted to sing as one of her activities, so I thought it'd be cute to record the girls singing and make cds for them to take home. It took longer than I thought, but we were able to do it and even put a cover on the cd with a picture of all the girls. It was a lot of fun.

Abby's birthday fell on a Wednesday this year, but it happened to be the school's Wellness Walk Wednesday where parents are encouraged to come walk with their children during their PE class, so the younger girls and I got to see Abby at school on her birthday and have lunch with her. She showed off her mad hoola hooping skills, which she's very into these days.
 
Abby was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on December 29th. We are so proud of her and her decision. We were able to combine the day with a friend, Kai Mesarch, and they were both baptized the same day. (The Mesarch family is the ones who took us rock climbing.) We had pictures of the kids taken together to make invites to send to friends in the ward and neighborhood. I worked all night long to finish making Abby's dress so she could wear it for the pictures. It turned out beautifully if I do say so myself.

We took a lot of pictures the day of the baptism, but I completely forgot to have one taken of our entire family. Oh well, I was just glad to get the pictures I did, and Abby was so happy and excited.
 
Both sets of grandparents were able to be there. They sang a musical number with members of Kai's family too and Grandma Gibbons gave a prayer and Grandpa Black gave one of the talks. 






 

 
Abby had lots of friends from the ward and school come and support her, which was awesome. She even had her best friend from Kindergarten, Ella Kramer, there who was visiting from Wichita Falls the same weekend.
 
And I had to get a picture of Abby's new CTR ring. Her Grandpa Gibbons made it for her and she's been looking forward to getting it for a long time. When we were in Utah for Christmas, one of the first questions she asked Grandpa was "are you working on my ring Grandpa." He made one for Grandma and has since been making replicas for each grandchild for when they get baptized.

 Having an 8-year-old sure makes us feel a little old, but Abby is definitely a joy in our family. She's an incredible helper and big sister and we love her so much!

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...