Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Catch Up in December including Rock Climbing Adventure

With so many events just in December, I want to try and get them all on the blog quickly, so I can finish up 2012 before it's too late into 2013. So to catch up, I'm going to start with all the non-holiday events that happened in December. That's basically decorating for Christmas and an awesome weekend trip we had rock climbing. We'll start with that. While Tyler flew to Idaho for his Grandma Gibbons' funeral, the girls and I were invited to go rock climbing with our friends from church. They go a lot and found a place just up the mountain from our house. It was a bit chilly, but the kids found rocks to climb and explore while we all took turns rock climbing. I was totally impressed with myself just for hiking the short distance to the rock with Taryn on my back. With no where for her to crawl, Taryn was luckily mostly happy hanging out in the backpack as long as you kept the snacks coming.
 
The kids were even able to take turns if they wanted one. Tessa tried first from my family and she got pretty far for her first time. She was very adventurous and even got a second chance which was the most any one got. She was even trying to climb by herself without any ropes because she was too impatient to wait. Aubrey was content exploring the rocks and following the other little kids around.

 I didn't even think Abby would want to try, and she did keep going back and forth deciding if she really wanted to, but once she decided, she did amazing! She went higher than any of the kids and I was completely amazed at how well she did without even getting scared.

 I also took a turn and got to the very top (I was also very impressed with how well I did for my first time). My friend took pictures of me on her phone, but I don't have any copies yet which is fine - they're all of my backside anyway. It was a thrill and we definitely want to go again.

As for other happenings in December, all the girls helped us decorate the house for Christmas. I liked this picture because even Taryn crawled and climbed her way over to see what was in the big bucket of decorations.

 And speaking of Taryn, she is getting everywhere these days. She still doesn't quite walk on her own, but if there's something to hold on to, she can move quite quickly. She loves to get to the stairs and climb up to the landing which is right above our computer desk and just grab the rails and giggle and scream like she's found a secret hiding place. She is just now (like in January) starting to figure out the correct way to come back down the stairs, so we are constantly finding her on the stairs and following her as she goes up to make sure she's okay. She loves to open the window blinds as she walks along the wall, and even open the entire shutter if she can to check out what's happening outside. The girls thought this reindeer headband was cute on Taryn and she didn't seem to mind it either - for a little while anyway.
 
Finally, the girls had Christmas parties at school on their last day before the break. I was able to stop in to see them for a few minutes and I took this picture of Tessa's entire Kindergarten class. It was pajama day for them, and I was happy to get a complete class photo.

 Abby's birthday was the last Wednesday of school before the break and they had an assembly during their PTA meeting where they handed out awards for the Reflections contest. Abby won first place for the Musical Composition category for an original song she wrote and sang. I was so proud of her. Unfortunately, they spelled our last name wrong so she didn't even get to go home with anything because they kept her plaque to have it fixed. We'll be hearing in the next month or so if her entry goes any further in the competition, but we were so proud of her accomplishment.

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...