To finish out the school years, I'm starting with Abby. I included her first semester school activities with her birthday post in December, so here's the second half of her 4th grade year. I tried going to the school's Fitness Friday days, but only made it to a couple this year. It's when parents can come join their child for her PE class. Taryn loves going and playing on the playground and hanging out with her sisters. I actually took pictures at the one we went to in February. March 2nd was Dr. Seuss day at school, so Abby dressed up like Cindy Lou-Who. Lots of people complimented her on her awesome hairstyle.
March 5, 2015 was the Fine Arts night at school. The girls decided they wanted to perform in the school talent show this year. They picked a song with their friends Kylie and Sadie Cain and practiced multiple times a week leading up to the performance. The Cains are the family that moved to Hawaii a couple weeks after this performance, so it was fun for them to do this last activity together, but it was hard for Tovi and me to see it and know that it was a last. They sang Titanium and did really well. I was especially proud of Tessa who is our shyest girl when it comes to performing in front of other people, but she did great.
Funny story about this event: the Fine Arts night was scheduled the same night as a Relief Society activity for me at church. I'm in charge of those activities so I had told the girls that I would be missing their performance. But when the night finally came, the program portion of the church activity finished with enough time for me to race over to the school to see if I could catch their performance. When I ran into the school, I saw that the girls were standing on the stage. I tried to go in but the high school kid who was the usher said we weren't allowed in unless it was between performances. Frustratingly, I told her that it was "my kids" who were up on the stage right that minute so she let me slip in. They had just started singing the song, so I got to hear their performance and take one picture to prove that I had been there. I don't think Tessa even saw me because she was facing the opposite way while they performed. As soon as they were finished, I raced back to the church to finish the activity and help clean up. The best part of the story is how I found out after the fact that the girls had been standing on the stage forever before they began. Apparently, our friend Kirsten who accompanied the girls on the piano had a really hard time with her music on the piano stand. They spent some time trying to figure out how to keep her music from blowing off and finally ended up having two other people hold the music for her. Everybody who saw me come in figured it was meant to be so that I could make it in time for the performance. I was so happy I got to hear them sing and that it all worked out so I didn't miss it. It was great.
The beginning of May brought Field Day for the entire school and I was able to volunteer this year. They divided the grades throughout the day but since I had a 4th, 2nd and kinder, I had to stay all day to help out with each of my kids. I stayed with one station all day, the water sponge race, but I grabbed some pictures as Abby was at the stations near me. Here she is with her classmate Grace during the three-legged race. She's finishing a race in this second picture. I think they had to do cartwheels for the race and I tried to get one of her actual cartwheels, but this was all my camera could get since she was moving so fast.
The hippity hop station was right next to my station, so I was able to catch Abby bouncing her way to the finish line. And finally, a closeup of Abby as she passed off the sponge to her teammate as they raced to fill up a bucket with water from their sponge.
Abby did have one final choir performance in May. It was the week after Aubrey had her kinder performance, but it was after we had joined the YMCA so the girls had ballet class the same time as their performances. I went to Aubrey's performance while Tyler kept Tessa at ballet, so the following week I was with the girls at ballet while Tyler went to Abby's choir performance. Once ballet was over, we raced to the school to catch the end of her performance, but as we walked into the cafeteria everyone was clapping. I thought it was just the end of a number, but it was the end of the entire concert. It was only 30 minutes long and I had missed the entire thing. I was so sad and Abby was mad. She didn't even acknowledge my apology at first because she thought I should've been there. After she heard me telling our friends how hurt it made me, she gave me a hug and we made up. I was really bummed about missing this particular performance too because it was their rock concert and they sang a bunch of popular songs from our Rock Band game on the wii. Songs like Livin' on a Prayer, and Eye of the Tiger. Tyler videoed the performance on his phone so I can include it in our home videos, but he didn't take any pictures to include here in the blog.
Less than a month later was their last day of school - June 9th. We ended up taking the girls out early that day to start our trip to California for Tyler's work conference. They just had parties all day so they didn't miss much, although the girls were sad to miss the fun stuff. They at least made an appearance so they basically just missed eating fun lunches in their classrooms. Abby's class party was a luau theme. They brought home their class awards and paperwork too. Abby made the A Honor Roll again this year, so she was super proud of herself for that. All three of her teachers loved her, so I was happy about that. She's always a great helper at school and loves going. It was definitely a successful 4th grade year.
She's excited to now be done with 4th grade and is ready for 5th grade which rules the school at her elementary. She's planning on playing the bass in orchestra next year and will probably run for a student officer position again. It's crazy to think that Abby will be starting her final year of elementary school in the fall. She's getting so grown up and we're so proud of all she has accomplished in school.








No comments:
Post a Comment