Thursday, November 18, 2021

September 2021, Part 1-Sports, Sports, Sports!!

Aubrey had an away game on the far east side of town. They won easily. Aubrey played the back row and had good passes. She really enjoys playing with these girls and she was happy to start this game.

Abby played an away game at Burges HS. She had great sets and good hits. They won in two sets.
 

Tessa had a cross country race at an old golf course. They run along the fairways and golf cart paths, but it has a lot of twists and turns. Here are pictures right before the race and right after they started. Tessa did not do very well at this race. She actually ended up stopping twice to throw up. We realized later that she hadn’t really eaten dinner the night before and was trying to run with no energy or fuel. She was very upset with herself at how she did and it didn’t help that the coach was not very compassionate. The only good thing out of it was that it gave her the motivation to work harder, eat healthier, and really push herself to show her coach that she can do better.
 

Abby had a home game on a Tuesday night and a group of her friends came to support her. The coolest part was that so many came and they even brought a sign. They cheered for her the entire time and it was so fun to hear them yelling out her name and rooting her on. I also got this picture of Abby giving her coach a high five. Coach Sterling has been a great coach for the last two years and Abby has really enjoyed playing for her.
 

Tessa had her first football game the same night that Abby had a home game. I was helping Tessa and the drumline with their equipment when Abby came running out to get a picture with Tessa. I loved it. After loading the equipment, I took a picture of the entire percussion section.

Abby had a great game against Montwood. They won in two sets. Abby had great serves and good sets. She led her team to the win, but I had to leave early to make it to Tessa’s football game on the east side of town. Tyler stayed for the end of Abby’s game, while I drove across town.
 

Their first football game was an away game against Andress HS. Since Franklin was the away team, the band performs for the pre-game so I had to be there early, but I made it in time. Tessa starts their halftime performance near the 40 yard line with her bass drum off. After they do some choreography, they have to quickly put their drum on in time to play and march. They only performed the first movement of their show and they had to use the metronome while they played, but overall it was a good performance for their first time.
 

I ended up staying for the entire game and we beat Andress. It was a good game and Tessa loved it. She got to play a lot of cadences in the stands and I was sitting near the band so I could see her while they were in the stands.

I thought this was a good picture because AJ Kasallis quit football this year, but he was still at every game as a yell leader. I was taking a picture of him for his mom when I realized the band was walking past. I was able to get this picture with AJ and Tessa in it together, so I thought that was really fun. Even though it was an away game, the drumline always spends the 3rd quarter down on the track with the cheerleaders in front of the student section to play cadences while the cheerleaders dance. I love that Tessa gets to be so close to the action down on the field. She loves being able to play for everyone in the stands.
 

The next weekend was the cross country meet that Tessa’s school was in charge of. As parents, we volunteered to help man the course and assist with the start and finish of the race. I was there helping and my job was to keep the runners walking along the chute once they crossed the finish line. It was a necessary job because a lot of times after crossing the finish line, the kids just want to stop and rest, but then they clog up the path and get out of order, so it’s important for them to keep moving and stay in the right order of finishing if they cross at the same time as someone else. This was Tessa’s first race after her horrible one the week before. She really worked hard during the week of practices and she ate good meals and got a lot of rest in preparation for this race. I took a picture of the results when I saw they were posted. Tessa was a little sad that she placed 23rd overall, but when we saw that she was 4th place of the freshman, that made us feel so much better. It was a great come back after the previous race that she had done, so it was at least a step in the right direction.
 

In the mornings, I take the Hornedo kids to school and I drop off Taryn at the Beals’ house and Valerie Beals takes the Lundy kids to school when it’s time. She sends pictures when the kids are doing fun or cute things in the morning. She even sometimes does Taryn’s hair super cute for her. They took this picture on a Monday when it was college shirt day on the week that BYU played ASU in football. It was a fun picture. I’ve also been working on Taryn’s 10-year birthday picture book. I wanted to make sure I included a picture of Taryn’s teachers for this year, so when we had parent/teacher conferences, I asked for a picture of Taryn with her teachers - Mrs. Bock and Mr. Medrano. She loves them both. She had Mrs. Bock in 2nd grade, so she was very excited to have her again. Mr. Medrano just moved from dual language to monolingual this year, and she really likes him too. They are great teachers.
 

Taryn had to create a salt map of Texas, so while we were doing the conference, we also took a picture of her map that was hanging in the hallway. She did the work herself, coloring the salt dough and creating the map with the elevation to scale. She did great work and it was fun to see it hanging up. Taryn loves being able to hang out with the Beals. They have a hot tub and the kids can always be found there. The Beals moved into the home where the Andersen’s used to live. Malerie Beals is also in 4th grade, so Taryn, Teagan and Malerie play a lot together. In this picture, Maverick, Malerie’s little brother, is also enjoying the hot tub with them.
 

Abby had an away game at Eastwood. They had a very fancy gym. They had a floating net that was not connected to the floor. We hadn’t ever seen that before. They ended up winning, but they went to three sets so it was a stressful game. I was glad to get to watch Abby play more and I was happy that they won.
 

Abby’s friends ended up asking girls to homecoming together with this sign that said HOCO? AJ asked Gracie, Logan asked Sarah, and Rand asked Abby. She was very excited that she got asked and by someone she’s good friends with.
 

Abby’s next home game was against Eastlake. Abby still gets to play all around so she sets when she’s in the back row, and hits when she’s in the front row. I took these pictures during the game.
 

One of the parents takes pictures of the games too and posts them on facebook. They are usually better quality since they are close up shots, so I was happy to find some great ones of Abby. Here’s Abby preparing to receive the serve, and one of her setting.
 

There were also a couple he took of her hitting. He has a fancy camera that really gets up and close for the pictures, so I love these pictures a lot.
 

Here are a couple more that he took as the team cheered each other on after good plays. They won this game in two sets. I also love that you can see Abby’s cheering squad and poster in the background of this picture. Abby’s friends were regulars at Abby’s home games and I loved that they were always there cheering her on. It made her so happy to have them there to support her.

Tessa’s next cross country race was back at the golf course on the east side of town. They went early to warm up and walk the course and she took this picture of her friends in a tunnel that is part of their course.  I was not able to attend this race because our ward had a service project that morning, but I was glad that Tessa and other parents took pictures so that I could have some.

Here are some pictures that other parents took for me. Tessa felt so much better during this race on the course that she was dreading to have to run again. 

I was so surprised when I picked up Tessa and found out that she had medaled! I was so sad because I was not there to see her win that medal. She really did great and placed in the top 10 to earn her medal. Here she is with her teammates - Hannah, Isa, Grace, and Sienna. She had shortened her run time over two minutes from the race on that same course two weeks ago. Her extra work and determination really paid off and she was happy to wear her medal all day that day.

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...