Saturday, October 16, 2010

The State Fair of Texas

Last weekend, we spent the day at the Texas State Fair. It was fun for the kids, but a bit crazy for the adults. Tyler says he will never go back. We happened to go on a Saturday that happened to coincide with a Texas Tech/Baylor football game, so there were way too many people. Some aisles were so crowded with people that you just had to stand still before being able to move forward an inch. Imagine that with a stroller and two little girls who I was constantly having to keep my eyes on. Luckily my parents were with me. My recommendation is to go on a weekday and plan on spending all day because there were lots of things we just didn't have time to do. We started our trip by taking the DART train ride, which the girls were excited about doing but once we were on the train and forced to sit for about an hour, I think they got a little bored.
Aubrey was happy as long as she could tug on my mom's earrings.
Abby was good the entire time except for asking my dad how many more stops about every 10 seconds.
Tessa was the main concern considering she wouldn't sit still for more than 1 minute. She kept changing seats including the stroller where I should have just strapped her in.
Once inside the fair grounds, we listened to a Drum and Bugle Corp and then headed to the animals. We saw lots of baby farm animals and stopped at multiple places where we could take pictures. I liked this one because Aubrey actually looked at the camera.
I love how the girls are looking at each other in this one.
Abby was a part of a Backyard Circus as a butterfly ballerina. She did a great job!
I think the girls' favorite part was the hands-on farm we found where they walked through with an apron and basket and got to collect fruits and vegetables, plant seeds, feed the animals and ride a tractor.
They finished the trail by getting a dollar for their work and spending it on goodies in a store. It was very cute. Luckily they even had some photo spots.
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera again so these were all taken on my phone when I thought about taking a picture. My favorite part, no pictures, was the light show that included music, fountains, fire flames, and fireworks. They used mist from the fountains to show pictures in mid-air to go along with the music. I thought it was awesome. The girls got a little scared from the flames and loud fireworks.

We also enjoyed the expensive food. We had fresh lemonade, foot long corn dogs, corn on the cob, and my favorite of the day - fried cheesecake. Yummy!

The most exciting thing that happened was right after we got into the fairgrounds. While trying to maneuver through the crowds, a guy and girl wearing Texas Tech shirts, stopped me and Tessa and asked if we wanted a huge Hello Kitty stuffed animal he was holding. He said they had been standing there trying to find someone with a little girl to give it to. I told him I had three girls, so sure we'd take it. My mom asked how the game had gone and he said Texas Tech had won and that's why he was in such a giving mood. I thought that was funny. And I was happy that we had gotten something quite large without having to spend all that money it would have cost to try and win it ourselves!

We worried about all the crowds trying to catch the train for our ride home, but it wasn't too bad except for the fact that we had to stand for the majority of the ride because of all the people stuffed onto the trains. Abby sat by a lady who was also named Abigail so she enjoyed that, and luckily everyone was nice considering Aubrey's stroller blocked the entire aisle. And Tessa made it all the way to the car and a fast-food place on the way home with having complained about needing to go to the bathroom from the minute we stepped onto the train, of course!

Now for a treat if you stayed long enough to read the rest of our adventure that didn't have pictures. A picture of the girls in our front yard where our neighbor made a fun little flower garden for the kids to enjoy. I don't remember why Abby was so grumpy, but I thought it was funny how opposite she and Tessa look. And of course I couldn't get Aubrey to look at me long enough to get a picture with her face.
We're definitely enjoying the fall and our wonderful sunny, cooler weather. We spend at least some portion of our days outside and we love it!

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...