Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Aubrey's 1st Grade Year

Since I just posted about Taryn, I decided to go from youngest to oldest on our school posts, so here's a look back on Aubrey's year as a 1st grader. Here's her first day pictures - at home and at her new desk.

This picture was taken the morning of school picture day in the fall. I wanted to include it because Aubrey was always friends with the neighbor's cat, Scally; and she really wanted a picture holding him. I took this picture of Aubrey holding her family tree project that she created herself before she had to turn it in. It was on display in the 1st grade hallway for awhile, and now it hangs in our house.
Thanksgiving and Christmas are two holidays when the school allows extra activities; so in November, they have a Thanksgiving meal when parents can come and sit with their kids and have a Thanksgiving feast. I sat with Aubrey and her friend Gabby while they ate. The last day of school before Christmas break is another party day. I came to help with Aubrey's class party, and I grabbed this picture of Aubrey and her friends, Chloe, Savannah, and Gabby while they waited in line to get their lunches. Aubrey's class didn't have a room-mom this year, so I filled in when needed, which was usually just on their party days like this one. 

This picture is already included in a post this year, but it was from the day of spring school pictures, so I wanted it to be in this post as well. My beauty who still prefers dresses and headbands - such a cutie!

This first picture was already included in Aubrey's birthday post, but we did go eat lunch with her at school on her birthday, so I'm including here as well. It's always fun to eat lunch with the girls and see them interact with their classmates and get to visit with them in the middle of the day. However, I didn't get to do it very often because there was almost an hour between each of the girls' lunch times, so if we went to eat lunch with all three, we were there forever. So we kept the lunch visits to special occasions like birthdays and when grandparents were visiting. The second picture is from the Fine Arts Night in April. Everyone has an art picture on display and we found Aubrey's so we could get a picture - her hand is displaying which picture is hers.

The same night as Fine Arts Night, our church held a teacher appreciation night and Aubrey invited her teacher, Mrs. Moreira. We met her there, listened to some speakers and then each teacher was presented an award by his or her student. Aubrey had written things like "she's very nice and helps me learn math" about Mrs. Moreira and they read those student comments out loud. Then we had refreshments. It was a fun night.

At the end of April, the 1st grade class had their performance. They sang songs, some in English and some in Spanish. Each class wore a different color shirt. Aubrey's class wore dark green. Here she is with some of her classmates before they want on stage - Gabby, Savannah, Milan, and Leilah.

Aubrey's class is on the left and you can see her on the right of the third row in the close-up shot. Her favorite song was one of the Spanish ones where they sang about different musical instruments, and they used hand motions as they sang about each one. She really got into her singing and was very fun to watch.

The GT Fair was held the end of May. Aubrey enjoyed doing GT, or Enrichment, this year. She and some classmates worked on their environment project together. They were assigned rivers and ponds, so when we found their display, she pointed out every animal and item that they made to include in their environment. We found one of GT partners, Abby, there at the same time, so we took a picture of them together. 

The last day of school marked the final party day. I helped Mrs. Moreira by picking up flavored popcorn for their movie day. They were allowed to bring blankets and pillows so they could watch movies and eat popcorn during their party time. This kids loved the treat and it was fun to hang out with Aubrey's class during those last couple hours of her 1st grade year. Here are a couple pictures of her class. 

I'm a little sad that I didn't remember to take pictures of the girls as we left the house on their last day. I really like having the first and last day pictures of each year to compare. I did remember however to at least take a picture of each of the girls with their teacher on the last day, so at least I had something. We really like Mrs. Moreira. Tessa had her in first grade too. Aubrey loved her and we always got raving reviews about Aubrey from Mrs. Moreira. She always talked about how she could trust Aubrey to do special tasks and errands for her, and how she also used Aubrey a lot to help other students learn something because she had picked it up so quickly and was willing to try and help the other kids whenever she could. We're so proud of Aubrey and all that she has accomplished at school and what a sweet girl she is.

No comments:

December, Part 2-Abby's 18th Birthday & Christmas

Our ward at church had their annual Christmas party in mid-December. The youth were asked to do some musical numbers. All of the youth sang ...